If you could use some inspiration for what you want to accomplish in 2009, this story about one of America’s greatest minds and inventors might help.
It is has been said that Thomas Edison tested more than 10,000 ideas and prototypes before he hit on a working example of an incandescent light bulb. At one point, one of his financial backers suggested that he give up.
Edison replied: "Each time an idea did not work, I got feedback on how to make it better. I now know 10,000 ways it does not work, and I get closer and closer to success."
Edison was able to eventually triumph despite thousands of setbacks because he had the right mindset: He saw each “failure” as simply a step towards success!
There’s another lesson to be learned in Edison’s life, too: Don’t be concerned if others don’t believe in you. Edison was actually thrown out of school at an early age because a teacher felt he was “too stupid to learn anything.”
No one other than you can determine what your future holds.
Here are some other examples of people who achieved great success after meeting resistance or defeat earlier:
• Henry Ford declared bankruptcy before going on to found one of the largest automotive manufacturing companies in the world.
• R.H. Macy made several failed attempts at retail business before his New York department store chain took off.
• Bob Dylan was booed off stage during his performance at a high school talent show.
• Oprah Winfrey was once fired from a television reporter's job and told, "You're not fit for TV."
• After Elvis Presley’s first (and last) performance at the Grand Ole Opry, he was banned and reported told: “You ain’t goin’ no where, son.”
None of these people let these early discouragements stop them from realizing their potential. The path to achievement and well-being is often far from easy, even for those blessed with raw talent or rare genius.
But no one makes it very far without determination and the ability to roll up their sleeves when faced with a challenge.
So go ahead – make that New Year’s resolution. And then set out a plan to do it. If you have the right attitude… and refuse to let a setback stop you… you too will achieve amazing things, just like other great people have.